This Patchchadi/ liquid sweet is made during the Tamil new year down south of India in Tamilnadu. Though its been a week past the Tamil new year i still thought its never to late to share this recipe.
Raw mango - 1 big
Veppam Poo / Neem flowers/Neem ke phool - 1tbs
Jaggery - 1 1/2 big cup
Green chilly -1
Mustard - 1tbs
Oil - 1tps
Water - 2 cups
1. Wash the mango and scrape them as shown below in the photograph.
2. Pluck the flowers from the stem and wash them well as they contain small white insects.
3. In a pan add the water add the scrapped mango and green chilly.
4. Boil them till the mango turns half cooked.
5. Meanwhile powder the jaggery and add the same to the water and stir well.
6. Boil them till they become slightly thick.
7. In a small pan splutter the mustard seeds and pour them on to the jaggery mixture.
8. Add the raw neem flowers to the boiled mixture.
Do not cook for long after adding neem flowers or else the bitter taste would turn strong from the neem flowers.
If, the Patchchadi is not turning thick then you can add the thickening agent "Rice flour mixed in water-approx 2tbs and mix well" this should make the job.
You can make this even in pressure cooker. 2 whistles must be perfect.